The Qurān and Modern Science
About The Course
The “Qur’an and Modern Science” course is specifically designed and developed with the purpose to explore the relationship between the Qur’an and the Modern Scientific methodology. It will provide students with an accurate reflection and understanding of the Qur’an. It will explore the reliability of science as a tool to assess the divine nature of the Qur’an and whether it can be used to comment on the Qur’an or its divine origin. The course will provide a profound analysis of arguments, counter-arguments and the various discourses which are relative to science. Students will be able to analyse the extent to which it is right to justify, acknowledge, support or refuse proposed theories in light of the Qur’an and Qur’anic exegesis.
Ustadh Hamza Andreas Tzortzis
(Public Speaker & Researcher, IERA, London)
Dr. Mohammed Basil Altaie
(Quantum Cosmology at Yarmouk University)
AT A GLANCE
12 Live Sessions
Duration: 4 Months
Saturdays | 3:00PM - 4:30PM BST
Video Recordings Available
Starts on October 31, 2020.
Pay in Full:
Pay in 4 Installments:£9.99
October 30, 2020
Shaykh Dr. Rafaqat Rashid
(Academic Director, Al Balagh Academy)
1. Qurān and Modern Science
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- A Brief History of Science
- The Foundation of Science – Key Principles
- The Scientific Method
- Understanding the Purpose of the Qurān
- The Qurānic Method
- Key Principles in Qurānic Exegesis
- Different Views on the Scientific Explanation of the Qurān
- The Modernists
- The Advocates
- The Rejectionists
- The Moderates
2. Scientific Miracles in the Qurān
- Qurān and Science – Compatible or Incompatible?
- Does Qurān Contain Scientific Miracles?
- Muslim Apologist Narrative on Scientific Miracles
- The Scientific Miracles Narrative – Key Concerns
- How to Reconcile and Discuss Science in the Qurān
- Scientism, the Problem of Induction and Empiricism
- A New Approach
- Scientists on the Qurān
3. Qurānic Verses and Scientific Criticism
- The Nature and the Purpose of the Qurān
- A Critical Analysis of Claims about “Unscientific Verses” and “Scientific Errors” in the Qurān
- How to Deconstruct these Unscientific Claims?
- Religious Scientism – Should we Force Scientific Meanings onto the Qurān?
- Balancing between Scientific Criticism and Religious Scientism
4. The Big Bang Theory and the Qurān
- Cosmological Principles – An Overview
- Qurānic Verses related to the Creation Of the Universe
- Various Cosmologies in the history of Islamic thought
- Is the “Big Bang” Theory Mentioned in the Qurān?
- Does the Qurān Support the Expanding or Static Universe?
- How should we go about discussing findings in physics/cosmology and the Qurān?
5. Qurānic Verses and Astronomy
- Astronomy: Key Principles
- Qurānic Verses
- The Sun and Moon
- Stars and Planets
- The Day and Night
- The Solar Apex
- Is There a Conflict between the Quran and New Astronomical Discoveries?
- The Way Forward
6. Qurān and Creation: Fakhr al-Razi's Perspective
- Creation of heavens and the earth
- Creation and the Origin of Man
- Act of Creation – ex nihilo, immediate, and at one stroke?
7. Qurānic Verses: Geology and Biology
- Quranic Verses: New Geological Discoveries
- Qurānic Verses on Water Cycle
- Qurānic Verses about Mountains
- Quran and New Biological Discoveries
- Qurānic Verses related to Botany
- Qurānic Verses related to Physiology
8. Human Embryology and The Noble Qurān
- The Way Forward
9. Historical Records in the Qurān and Modern Science
- The accuracy of Historical Records in the Qurān
- Quran and Modern Archaeological Discoveries
- The Claims of the Historical Errors in the Qurān
- Key Concerns
- The Way Forward
10. A Comparative Study of The Bible, The Qurān and Science
- Dr. Maurice Bucaille and His Book – An Overview
- Quranic and Biblical Narrations
- The Concept of Creation
- Age of the Earth
- The Flood
- The Pharaoh
- Key Concerns
- The Qurānic Position
11. Qurān and Modern Science – Resolving the Mystery of the Universe
- Who Has Created the Universe?
- What is the Purpose of Our Life?
- What will happen after Our Death?
- The Questions Unresolved by Science
- The Qurānic Answers
12. Quran and Modern Science: Contemporary Issues and Challenges
- Contemporary Issues in Muslim Education Sector
- Teaching Science and the Quran – How to Reconcile or Discuss Science in the Qurān?
- Teaching Evolution or Big Bang Theories – Key Issues
- How to Address Concerns regarding Muslim Youth
- Practical Guidelines for Sharia Scholars and Imams – How to Interpret the Qurānic Verses relevant to the Scientific Fields?
- Practical Guidelines for Parents, Teachers and Muslim Leaders
- Muslim Scientists, Sharia Scholars and Academics – How to Build a Platform
The Qur’an and Modern Science course meticulously prepared for those who would like to explore, analyse and compare the plethora of scientific discoveries in light of the Qur’an. The course will further examine the nature of the Quran’s divine origin, modern scientific criticisms and contemporary debates on Qur’anic exegesis (Tafsir). We will address the issues concerning debates on science in the Qur’an, including ideas such as the Big Bang Theory, Creationism, the theory of Evolution and further a wide scope of apparent scientific assertions within the Qur’an. The course will cover various sciences including but not limited to: Astronomy, Physics, Geography, Oceanography, Biology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology and Embryology. The course has been designed in a way that it will equip the students and learners with valuable insights into the contemporary scientific debates about the Qur’an. Students will be able to identify and explain the accurate Qur’anic interpretation methods and thus be provided with a solid base for further studies and exploration.
The course will effectively engage in ideas that surround the doubts which often arise due to modern scientific developments. Although Scientific discoveries that support the Quran are discussed, the course will also address the fundamental question: “Should we use science to justify the Qur’an?”
The course aims to examine the subjects such as:
- The Qur’an and Revelation
- Tadweenul Qur’an : Compilation of the Qur’an
- The Preservation of the Qur’an : A Miracle
- The Modes (ahruf) of the Qur’an and Recitations (Qir’at)
- Form, Language and Style
- Asbab al-Nuzul (Narratives concerning Causes for Revelation)
- I’jazul Qur’an (The Miraculous Nature of the Qur’an)
- The Science of Tafsir ( Exegesis) – An Overview
- The Principles of Qur’anic Exegesis (Tafsir)– An Overview
- The Sourcebooks of Tafsir and Exegetes of Early Era – An Overview
- Qur’an and Contemporary Tafaseer and Scholars
- Qur’an and Islamic Law
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Al Balagh courses recognised or accredited?
Al Balagh courses do not provide an externally accredited or recognised qualification. Our own expert team works at the course content. With over 5000+ learners, we are continuously growing and our vision is to make Al Balagh qualifications renowned worldwide through our expert team, without seeking formal accreditation or recognition from external institutional bodies.
How is this online course structured?
Our online course comprises live interactive online sessions, pre-recorded videos, online course material that include, presentations, reading material & online learning activities. Students may ask questions and get their doubts cleared from their respective lecturers, if any. Our dedicated academic support team will assist you as required.
When will I have access to the online course material?
Upon successful enrollment, you will get access to myAlBalagh (our online learning portal) within 24 hours.
Will I get notification for live sessions?
All students will receive notification for their course live sessions via email and/or course WhatsApp group. You may also check the Course Schedule tab on your dashboard after logging in on our website or Mobile App.
Is it mandatory to attend live sessions?
We always encourage attending live sessions among students, but it is not compulsory for technical course progress of the students.
I missed a live session. Can I get the video recordings?
If you are unable to attend a live session or have missed it, you can view recorded sessions on your course dashboard. You can access all the completed Recordings, PPT and assessments anytime.
Can I download the recordings and watch it offline?
You can download recordings and PPT of the course sessions from the myAlBalagh mobile App for all the enrolled courses.The recordings will be available for students after 48 hours of the live session.
Do I get marks for watching course recordings and presentations?
There are no additional marks for watching the course recordings. Only the module Assessments and the final exam add up to the final score.You can check the individual scores of your Assessments under the Progress tab of myAlBalagh.
I have doubts but I cannot attend the live session. Any other way to ask my questions?
You can discuss your doubts via Course WhatsApp Group dedicated for student discussion or access the Discussion Board on myAlBalagh. It is a platform for you to ask questions, discuss and get your doubts cleared.
When will the final exam be held?
The Final Exam will be held at the end of the course and will be a Graded And Timed Exam.
How do I interact with my classmates?
You can interact with your classmates on our Whatsapp Group exclusive for the course students. Furthermore, you can use the Discussion Board to connect with other course students as well.
How long will I have access to the online course?
You will have access to the online course content for up to 2 years. If you want lifetime access, contact our admin team via Email at [email protected]
I am facing trouble signing into the “myAlBalagh” Online Student portal. What should I do?
In case you find any trouble accessing your account, then please contact us immediately. Our dedicated support team will ensure that your problem gets resolved at the earliest.
How can I apply for the Al Balagh Scholarship?
Al Balagh Academy values seekers of knowledge more than anything. Please visit here to apply for a scholarship. Our team will assess your application and respond in 2-3 working days.