Al Balāgh Online ʿĀlimiyyah Programme
(Accepting applications for May 2023 intake)
About The Programme
Al Balāgh Online ʿĀlimiyyah Programme, based on the traditional Dars-e-Nizāmi syllabus, is designed specifically and exclusively for professionals, university student graduates, those in professional academic roles and those who have approximately 3 years experience in any daʿwah, charity or Islamic social organisation. The purpose is to bridge the current gap that exists between traditional Muslim scholars and contemporary academics and professionals, as well as the gap that exists between classical Islamic sciences and contemporary advanced academic studies and scientific research.
This programme is completely online and is part-time, divided into four academic levels covering 15 essential traditional Islamic sciences at an advanced level.
The programme is unique in the sense that it will incorporate relevant contemporary Islamic literature coupled with relevant contemporary academic social, historical philosophical and scientific studies. The course will be delivered using a personal developmental, unique skills-focussed approach which will be guided through one-to-one mentorship.
This is an advanced specialist programme that will train academics,professionals and passionate learners to achieve an in-depth grasp and understanding of the dynamic nature of the Islamic sciences, with their associated theological and jurisprudential roots, in handling issues related to modern sciences. The course will have an initial Ḥanafī school focus but will require scholars to be competent enough to be able to provide generic opinions from all sunnī schools of thought in the more advanced years. This is an excellent opportunity for interested individuals to be important drivers and enablers in the synergy of the Islamic tradition with modern sciences. Graduates will have an excellent opportunity to gain significant advantage in their future prospects having graduated with shahādah (certification) and ijāza (authorization) in a number of Islamic disciplines and classical texts from qualified traditional and renowned Muslim scholars and academics. They will be part of the international Muslim network of ʿUlama working in the domain of merging Islamic tradition with modern sciences.
AT A GLANCE
Saturdays & Sundays:
10 AM – 1 PM (London)
5 AM – 8 AM (New York)
2 PM – 5 PM (London)
9 AM – 12 PM (New York)
Saturday and Sunday
6 PM – 9 PM (London)
8+ Weekly Hours
10+ Learning Streams
From £50.00 /Month
Scholarships are available
Start your application
The next intake starts on 20th May 2023
Course Fee (Part-Time):
19th May 2023
Al Balagh Scholarship
AlBalagh Scholarship is available for learners who cannot afford the fee.
The unique Online Al Balāgh ʿĀlimiyyah Programme has been developed to address the important need to merge knowledge of the traditional Islamic sciences, which offers a centuries-old rich intellectual tradition, with current modern day sciences. Universities can offer valuable diverse academic approaches to some of these disciplines about Islam, but they cannot replace an essential centuries-old tradition where knowledge is parted, coupled with spiritual and personal development. This spiritual development is one that transcends the study of books and seeks to connect with the Creator to produce an Islamic epistemological approach which is quite different to the approach found in western institutes of learning. To be part of this spiritual chain of knowledge, one that extends from one’s teachers all the way to our noble Prophet (PBUH) is something that only a select few have the opportunity to experience. A humbling experience through a process requiring them to sit at the feet of traditional scholars of knowledge, gaining the wisdom of classical texts through an approach that has been passed down successive generations.
Explore The Wealth of Traditional Islamic Sciences
The Islamic traditional sciences have always been growing disciplines in response to diverse sociopolitical, philosophical and scientific challenges. A deeper analysis of Islamic normative positions related to a diverse range of important modern issues like logic, metaphysics, artificial intelligence, evolution, Islam and politics, genetics, Islamic psychology and societal ethics in a rapidly changing world, is proving quite challenging and crossing the lines of enquiry which question concepts we have never explored before or ever thought possible. There have been many attempts by Muslim scholars to address many areas of these challenges and their application to new cases. However, these Islamic disciplines have had to grow both horizontally and vertically to the degree that our current application of the wealth of our Islamic tradition to new and challenging issues is unfortunately still in its prime stages. There are immense works of classical Muslim scholars which require intense study with the prospect of it benefiting future generations. Some of these works are in manuscript form and others remain unread except by a few.
Addressing The Contemporary Issues
The horizontal growth is one which requires us to go back to the sources of our classical theology, substantive law, jurisprudence and ethics and tease out the nuances, and essential shariʿ principles that provide the guidance and framework to allow Islamic responses to technical questions. This requires Muslim scholars to have expertise in broader areas of theology, ʿilm al-kalām, tafsīr, ḥadīth, fiqh, language and rhetoric and tārīkh. The vertical growth is where these disciplines have now diversified beyond just classical text, and into many other specialties making it intersect with sciences such as philosophy, epistemology, metaphysics, anthropology, politics and other areas of humanities and social sciences. To meet these challenges requires preparation of Muslim scholars who have expert academic background knowledge of these sciences and the skillset to work closely with others embracing both good leadership qualities and aptitude to deliver the Islamic response that is both appropriate and informed through a multidisciplinary approach.
Become One of the Heirs of the Prophet (PBUH) Under the Guidance of Traditional Scholars
The most important aspect of the whole programme will ensure that the beneficial traditional element of madrasa learning is maintained as much as possible. This is to be achieved by ensuring that all our main scholars have been trained and have gone through robust teaching under the tutelage of their teachers through a successive chain of traditional learning that extends to the Prophet (PBUH). The approach unique to our madāris requires students to form an important relationship with their scholars and teachers which is both academic and essential for spiritual and personal development. This traditional approach will be woven throughout the syllabus content and delivery style so that students have a virtual madrasa experience. This is an exciting opportunity for students to learn, develop and connect to a line of traditional ʿulama who have a chain of learning all the way to our beloved Prophet (PBUH). After successful completion of this programme students will receive formal ijāza (authorization) and ʿAlimiyyah sanad enabling them to be included amongst the heirs of the prophets. The goal is to produce Muslim scholars who can contribute to their areas of expertise confidently, to bring about a meaningful impact and to respond to contemporary challenges.
Programme Aims & Objectives
The Key Objectives of this Program are:
- Advanced Expertise in classical Islamic Text: To develop advanced expertise in classical Islamic literature focusing on chapters of the varied disciplines that serve importance and relevance to modern sciences. This will include a thorough study and analyses of all relevant themes of classical Islamic theology, fiqh, uṣūl al-fiqh, tafsīr, ḥadīth and kalām literature. The program will especially focus on analyses of classical Islamic themes encompassing the Ḥanafi Sunni schools of jurisprudence comparing and contrasting concepts relevant to today.
- Specialised Knowledge in Contemporary Sciences and Islamic literature: To develop an advanced understanding in relevant areas of modern sciences and other related contemporary sciences, whilst developing an academic approach to Islamic ethics and contemporary Islamic literature. Students will be able to critique and analyse all relevant facets of related contemporary tafsir, kalam, fiqh and uṣūl al-fiqh literature contextualised to anthropological, sociological and philosophical paradigms, that have a direct influence on Islam as practiced today.
- Research, Analytical Skills and the Application of Islamic tradition to Conventional and Contemporary Issues: To develop advanced research skills and critical analyses skills in order to achieve high standards in both contemporary academic literature writing and advanced delivery. Throughout the programme, students will research, learn, explore and examine concepts, theories and principles related to both the vertical and horizontal growth areas of Islamic sciences and its impact on conventional and contemporary issues..
- Personal, Professional Spiritual and Academic Skills Development: – To develop and build the appropriate personal, professional, spiritual and academic skills which are essential for Muslim scholars, as a requisite to resolve current issues in modern sciences from the perspective of the Islamic tradition. Students will get an opportunity to enhance their skills by joining Al Balagh skills-based courses throughout the specialisation. Al Balagh Skills Development Program is a unique program that will identify strengths and weaknesses and suggest a graded plan of action to address and improve personal,professional, spiritual and academic skills that matter. Key focus is to enhance spiritual self-reflection and emotional literacy, and effective communication and presentation skills.
- Future leadership in the Islamic tradition: To develop a new generation of Muslim scholars who are experts in different Islamic disciplines and are able to convey, advise and implement the Islamic tradition to issues related to the post-modern world through a multidisciplinary approach. As contributors to the future of the Islamic traditional sciences, they will be able to guide, identify, analyse and resolve current challenges in related sciences in theology, philosophy and anthropology, to revive the spirit of Islam in the these fields and to enable and contribute to international academic literature, committees and allied industries.
- Networking, Career Guidance and Internship: To provide networking opportunities with international recognised Muslim scholars and subject experts, and professional and spiritual guidance. Our focus is to create a new generation of ‘ulama’ who can lead the Ummah and make a global impact by dedicating their lives to reviving the spirit of Islam.
The aspiring students should be either:
- College or University Students
- Having a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree
- Academics (Currently in the professional academic role or associated with any academic institute)
- Professionals (those with a professional skill-based career such as Medical Professionals, Accountants, IT Professionals, Lawyers, Journalists etc.)
- Those who have at least 3 years of experience in any Islamic daʿwah or social welfare organization
Note: Students are expected to know the Arabic alphabet & be able to read the Qur’an fluently.
The programme is exclusively tailored for advanced students, to provide them with an opportunity to develop advanced expertise in Islamic Sciences in a short period. Currently, we are accepting applications for Level 1, but If you are interested in Level 2, Level 3 or Level 4 and have prior qualification in the field, then kindly apply and contact our admin team on +44 7397 903767 to take your application further. After receiving your application, our support team will guide you.
Note: You can also apply for the programme if you have dropped out of an Alimiyyah programme elsewhere. We will make a decision based on your merits.
For direct entry, apply and attach all supporting documents as outlined in the admission requirements. The admissions team will assess your application and advise on next steps. To Apply Click Here
Live Class Timing
Following is the weekly online classes schedule
2 PM – 5 PM (London)
6 PM – 9 PM (London)
2 PM – 5 PM (London)
6 PM – 9 PM (London)
*Optional Class * :
Saturday and Sunday
10 AM – 1 PM (London)
Friday, 8 PM – 10 PM (London)
NOTE: There will be 13 to 14 live classes per week. Students will have the complete flexibility to select any classes per week according to your convenience, expertise and your preference subjects. Our academic support team will guide you in terms of selecting core courses and optional courses. (Recommended a minimum of 8 classes per week). Based on previous education and practical experience, one may get exemption from level-1 classes and can get access to higher-level classes in accordance to their qualification. Segregated classes will be arranged for brothers. However, we would require a minimum of 25 male student registrations to commence a segregated brothers’ batch.
The programme will be delivered in a series of live online classes, tutorials, presentation based lectures, textbook-based traditional lectures, seminars, and workshops, all delivered live online. The recordings will be uploaded onto our myAlbalagh student’s learning portal ( 24/7 Accessibility from a web browser and Mobile App) for students to review and revise at their own pace and convenience.
Level 1 of this programme consists of 8 to 12 mandatory courses, broadly covering the Arabic language, Quranic studies, Hadith Studies, Islamic Fiqh, Islamic History Seerah, Tazkiya, Aqeedah, Islamic Theology, Philosophy and other essential Islamic subjects. Students will also get an opportunity to join Al Balagh annual sacred journey and residential camp to directly interact with world-renowned scholars and benefit from their company. This will be optional and available for students who are able to travel and dedicate more time for their development.
Our distinctive approach relates to our four-level structure, making it more holistic and flexible. The Programme has been divided into four levels:
- Alimiyyah Foundation
- Alimiyyah Intermediate
- Alimiyyah Advanced
- Alimiyyah Final (Daurah Hadith)
The programme will be taught exclusively by qualified Shariah scholars and subject experts in English using online technology.
The whole course is taken online and offers a flexible way to study while maintaining work and personal commitments. It consists of the following key approaches:
- Classical Texts: Students will study the classical texts from beginner level to advanced levels to gain familiarity with classical books on multiple disciplines written by renowned Shariah scholars. Students will explore over 100+ classical textbooks during the programme.
- Presentation Based Lectures: There will be many courses every semester that will be delivered through presentations to support easier learning and to assure that students who learn visually can benefit.
- Live Online Sessions: There will be regular weekly live interactive online classes to discuss topics raised with case studies where appropriate. You are encouraged to discuss cases during the live interactive sessions, ask questions and raise important points for feedback. This interactive session will be a key component of the learning process and the more you can engage with your lecturer, the more productive and enjoyable your learning will be.
- Video Recordings: The live session will be recorded, and you can access these recordings on the website. This will make it easy for students to revise and make notes later.
- Online Course Material: In every course, your lecturer will suggest further reading material that you can review, print, read, and engage with, prior to the live session. This course material may be in the form of articles, case scenarios with questions, or recorded videos.
- Online Learning Activities and Online Assessments: In every course, there will be a variety of online learning activities, practical assignments, Module Assessments (graded or ungraded) to help you revise, reflect and gain a pragmatic approach and understanding to the subject.
- Discussion with Fellow Learners: Discussion with fellow learners is another important component of your development. In our course-specific WhatsApp groups, and our regular online Muzakarah sessions, students can review their course material and class with other learners, and share ideas with fellow students.
- Students Seminars: Regular participation in seminars will develop thinking, presentation and public speaking skills. (Students will learn to produce presentations and present via seminars, whilst presenting their arguments. This will be an excellent opportunity to receive constructive feedback.
- The Students Rihlah: There will be an annual Al Balagh sacred journey retreat in which students will have an excellent opportunity to learn at the feet of great scholars, participate in various activities to boost their level of Iman and to gain a closeness to Allah. This will be optional and will be arranged during regular term holidays. This experience will provide students with an environment of traditional learning and spiritual self-development that cannot be achieved in online sessions.
- 4 Levels: The Online Alimiyyah programme has been divided into 4 levels. This is a part-time programme and each level of the programme consists of 4 semesters. Level 1 can take anywhere from 18 – 36 months to complete depending upon the number of courses you have selected and time committed, though most working students can complete level 1 in 2 years. The completion time is based on the number of courses/modules enrolled per semester. You must attain the required credit points in each level to complete level 1. Upon successful completion of every level, students will be awarded a certificate to acknowledge their academic achievement.
- Flexibility in terms of Duration: Students have the flexibility to pace the years according to the commitment they can afford. They can speed up by completing the core courses of Level 1 in 3 semesters (18 months) instead of 4 semesters (24 Months). Students may also select less modules and take more time to complete each level.
- Core Courses & Elective Courses: In every semester, there will be Core and Elective Courses. On average, students are expected to complete 10 to 12 courses every semester. In terms of timing of live classes, the schedule of live classes is flexible with around 14 live class options per week (See the schedule section for detail). After discussing with their mentor, students should select a minimum of 6 to 8 classes based on their convenience and time zone. Your mentor will guide you on your course selection after a detailed assessment of your profile. Students can also apply for exemption from core courses if they can demonstrate that they have completed these courses/subjects before, or have the required level of knowledge.
- Flexible Study Hours: Students are expected to spend an average of 15 – 20 hours per week to meet the study requirements. If students are facing time issues, then they can spend about 6 to 8 hours by selecting less courses per semester. It would increase the duration of the programme, but students can complete the programme without compromising their personal and professional commitments.
- Attendance Requirement: Attendance (a minimum of 50% attendance) is mandatory in the live online sessions of all core courses. However, the attendance is not required for optional courses and students can complete the optional course by attaining minimum pass marks in the assessments.
- 24/7 Access to Video Recordings: Video recordings for every live session will be available within 48 hours on students’ course dashboard for revision and convenience. Students will get lifetime access to recordings.
- Mobile App: Students can get access to the course content on the go, using my albalagh mobile app and complete the coursework from anywhere and at any time.
- Exemption: Students with advanced knowledge or experience in the related subjects can apply for exemption for certain courses to select the next level courses in that subject.
We understand that most of our students have busy lives and managing family and professional commitments can be tough. Therefore, Al Balagh designed a flexible and structured learning model for passionate students like you to ensure that you can join this sacred journey of Islamic learning without compromising your other commitments. After successful enrollment, our academic support team will assess your profile and will draft a personalised learning plan based on it. The team will guide and advise you on course selection, class timings and study requirements.
The Alimiyyah programme is divided into 4 levels.
Upon successful completion of the first level, students will be awarded:
الشهادة الثانوية العامة في العلوم الإسلامية واللغة العربية
Upon successful completion of the second level, students will be awarded:
الشهادة الثانوية الخاصة في العلوم الإسلامية واللغة العربية
Upon successful completion of the third level, students will be awarded:
الشهادة العالية في العلوم الإسلامية واللغة العربية
Upon successful completion of the final level, students will be awarded:
الشهادة العالمية و الإجازة العالية في العلوم الإسلامية
1. Timing is flexible, allowing students to drop a few classes based on their circumstances.
2. Commitment: It is recommended to dedicate 10 hours per week to live online classes, with a minimum requirement of 6 hours.
3. Timezone Difference: If you are unable to attend morning or afternoon classes due to the time zone difference, you can choose classes from our evening shift (6 pm to 9 pm UK time) to fulfill your recommended weekly classes for Level 1.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can't take all classes on weekends. Can I draw some classes from weekdays?
Yes, you can swap your classes from weekend to weekdays, as convenient, after consulting with your mentor.
Are Al Balagh courses recognised or accredited?
Al Balagh courses do not provide an externally accredited or recognised qualification. Our own expert team works at the course content. With over 5000+ learners, we are continuously growing and our vision is to make Al Balagh qualifications renowned worldwide through our expert team, without seeking formal accreditation or recognition from external institutional bodies.
How is this online course structured?
Our online course comprises live interactive online sessions, pre-recorded videos, online course material that include, presentations, reading material & online learning activities. Students may ask questions and get their doubts cleared from their respective lecturers, if any. Our dedicated academic support team will assist you as required.
When will I have access to the online course material?
Upon successful enrollment, you will get access to myAlBalagh (our online learning portal) within 24 hours.
Will I get notification for live sessions?
All students will receive notification for their course live sessions via email and/or course WhatsApp group. You may also check the Course Schedule tab on your dashboard after logging in on our website or Mobile App.
Is it mandatory to attend live sessions?
We always encourage attending live sessions among students, but it is not compulsory for technical course progress of the students.
I missed a live session. Can I get the video recordings?
If you are unable to attend a live session or have missed it, you can view recorded sessions on your course dashboard. You can access all the completed Recordings, PPT and assessments anytime.
How many study hours do we have to dedicate (part-time)?
How many study hours do we have to dedicate (full-time)?
Full time students are expected to dedicate 16 to 20 hours for live online classes and 10 to 12 hours for revision and self study
Do I get marks for watching course recordings and presentations?
There are no additional marks for watching the course recordings. Only the module Assessments and the final exam add up to the final score.You can check the individual scores of your Assessments under the Progress tab of myAlBalagh.
I have doubts but I cannot attend the live session. Any other way to ask my questions?
You can discuss your doubts via Course WhatsApp Group dedicated for student discussion or access the Discussion Board on myAlBalagh. It is a platform for you to ask questions, discuss and get your doubts cleared.
When will the final exam be held?
The Final Exam will be held at the end of the course and will be a Graded And Timed Exam.
How do I interact with my classmates?
You can interact with your classmates on our Whatsapp Group exclusive for the course students. Furthermore, you can use the Discussion Board to connect with other course students as well.
How long will I have access to the online course?
You will have access to the online course content for up to 2 years. If you want lifetime access, contact our admin team via Email at [email protected]
I am facing trouble signing into the “myAlBalagh” Online Student portal. What should I do?
In case you find any trouble accessing your account, then please contact us immediately. Our dedicated support team will ensure that your problem gets resolved at the earliest.
How can I apply for the Al Balagh Scholarship?
Al Balagh Academy values seekers of knowledge more than anything. Please visit here to apply for a scholarship. Our team will assess your application and respond in 2-3 working days.
Can I download the recordings and watch it offline?
You can download recordings and PPT of the course sessions from the myAlBalagh mobile App for all the enrolled courses.The recordings will be available for students after 48 hours of the live session.