A Study of Tafsīr Ibn Kathīr
(Exclusive for Ulama and Alimat)
For late enrolment in the course, please contact our communication team on +44 7397 903767
About the Course
A special advanced course designed for ʿulamā and advanced students who wish to learn advanced studies in exegesis. The course will cover a particular kitāb of tafsīr. This course will cover the famous Tafṣir Ibn Kathīr which has been chosen specifically and carefully with the objective of developing the student in the science of tafsīr b-il-ma’thūr and tafsīr al-Qurān b-il-Qurān
Shaykh Amin Kholwadia
(Founder, Darul Qasim, Chicago, USA)
Shaykh Mustaqeem Shah
(Lecturer of Hadīth, Tafseer, Islamic Jurisprudence, Abu Bakr Trust Walsall)
AT A GLANCE
20 Live Online Sessions
Duration: 6 Months
Video Recordings Available
Starts on 26th September 2020
Pay in Full:
£79.99 £29.99 (Early bird 60% scholarship available on this course)
Pay in 6 Installments: £4.99 per month
Registrations are accepted for next two weeks.
Al Balagh Scholarship
AlBalagh Scholarship is available for learners who cannot afford the fee.
Classes in this Course
Sūrah ar-Room – Sūrah al-Jathiya
Saturday 2:00 to 3:30PM BST
Shaykh Mustaqeem Shah
Saturday 2:00 to 3:30PM BST (Monthly Once)
Shaykh Amin Kholwadia
Tafṣir Ibn Kathīr– This is the most popular of all Tafsir bi-l-Mathūr tafāsīr. It is known as the second book after Tafsīr al-Ṭabarī. It is recognised more so because of its many narrations from the early mufassirīn amongst the salaf. It contains many prophetic traditions and āthār of the companions (ra). There are commentaries expressing jarḥ wa al-taʿdīl of narrators, concluding which aḥadīth are munkar and ṣaḥīḥ. The approach is such that there is mainly emphasis of exegesis of the verses through other tafsīr of verses (tafsīr al-Qurān bi l-Qurān).
Ismāʿīl ibn ʿUmar Ibn Kathīr al-Damashqī (701/1300- d. 774/ 1373) also known as Abū alFidā’a also was a highly influential historian, exegete and scholar during the Mamluk era in Syria. An expert on tafsir (Quranic exegesis) and faqīh (jurisprudence). He wrote several books, including his al-Bidāya wa al-Nihāya book history.
His books became popular during his lifetime, and people benefited from them after his death. had the honorary title of ʿImād adDīn. He was born in Mijdal, a village on the outskirts of the city of Busra, to the east of Damascus, Syria, and was taught by Ibn Taymiyya and Al-Dhahabi.
This course will not just map out the chronology of how writings of tafsīr developed throughout Islamic history, but how each science developed their own hermeneutical approach to the Qurān. The course will present a different book of tafsīr every week, beginning with the most earliest to the more contemporary works in tafsīr.
Immerse yourself in this great opportunity in gaining a broad and deep understanding of Tafsīr Ibn Kathīr that has been pivotal in this science and learn the benefits, strengths and gaps that exist in this extraordinary kitāb and its authors approach.
- Examine and analyse the book of Tafsīr by Ibn Kathīr
- Explain the key concepts discussed in this Tafsīr and its applications in view of the sciences of the Qur’an and exegetical approaches through study of diverse concepts.
- Evaluate and differentiate the opinions held by the author with other Qur’anic Exegesis and exegetical approaches.
- Identify and explain exegetical methods and approaches, and examine the different opinions held by scholars on Qur’anic sciences, proofs and value.
On completion of this course, the successful student will be able to:
- Understand and examine Tafsīr Ibn Kathīr
- Define and analyse key concepts discussed in this Tafsīr and its applications in view of the sciences of the Qur’an and exegetical approaches through study of diverse concepts.
- Compare and evaluate opinions held by the author with other Qur’anic Exegesis and exegetical approaches.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify and explain the different exegetical methods and approaches, and examine their differences, proofs and value.
- Weekly: The weekly classes will be delivered by Shaykh Mustaqeem Shah.
- Monthly: There will be two different monthly classes delivered by Shaykh Abdur-Raheem Limbada and Shaykh Amin Kholwadia.
- Sūrah Yusuf
- Sūrah Yasin
- Sūrah ar-Room
- Sūrah Luqman
- Sūrah as-Sajdah
- Sūrah al-Ahzab
- Sūrah Saba’
- Sūrah Fatir
- Sūrah as-Saffat
- Sūrah Sad
- Sūrah az-Zumar
- Sūrah Ghafir
- Sūrah Fussilat
- Sūrah ash-Shura
- Sūrah az-Zukhruf
- Sūrah ad-Dukhan
- Sūrah al-Jathiya
On the successful completion of the course, the students will be awarded with the academy certificate signed by Shaykh Mustaqeem Shah, Shaykh Abdur-Raheem Limbada and Shaykh Amin Kholwadia.