THE FIQH OF MEDICINE – LEVEL 1
About The Course
This unique course provides an in-depth introduction to the field of Medical Fiqh and its relationship with Islamic bioethics, for both medical professionals and Muslim scholars. Students will learn principled practical and theological approaches to medical ethical dilemmas. The course will cover key concepts within Islamic theology, usul al-fiqh, epistemology, and fiqh pertaining to modern-day medicine, whilst applying principles discussed in the course to contemporary medical cases.
Dr Mohammed Ghaly
(Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics, Qatar)
Mufti Mohammed Zubair Butt
(Chair, Al Qalam, Bradford, UK)
Mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam
(Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK)
Dr Muhammad Mansur Ali
(Lecturer in Islamic Studies, Cardiff University, UK)
AT A GLANCE
20 Live Online Sessions
Duration: 6 Months
Sundays : 7:00PM - 9:00PM BST
Video Recordings Available
Starts on September 27, 2020
Pay in Full:
Pay in 4 Installments:
AlBalagh Scholarship is available for learners who cannot afford the fee.
Mufti Muhammed Zubair Butt
(Chair, Al Qalam, Bradford, UK)
1. Islamic and Western Medical Ethics - An Overview
This module will explain the importance of medical ethics. It will provide basic principles pertaining to both western understanding of medical ethics and Islamic.
- Theory and practice of western medical ethics
- Principles of Islamic medical ethics
- The Basics of the application of principles of Islamic medical ethics / jurisprudence
- How does Islamic medical ethics differ and or agree with western medical ethics
2. Basics of Islamic Medical Jurisprudence and Fiqh. (Terminologies)
- Primary sources
- Secondary sources
- Ijtihad and deducing the moral law
- Important terminologies
3. The Fiqh of Family Planning and Reproductive Technology
- Termination/ Abortion
- Reproductive Technologies
4. The Fiqh of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Islamic guidelines for gynaeclogists
- Intra-uterine Insemination (IUI) and In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) from Islamic perspective
- Labour and Post-delivery – Case Study
- Gender Interactions in clinical settings
- Contraception/ Abortion -Case Studies
- Burial and Janaza for Stillbirths and foetus
5. The Fiqh of Halal and Haram Medicine
- What is halaal and haram medication
- Use of gelatine in medicine and related concessions
- Use of alcohol in medicine and related concessions
- The verdict on smoking
- The verdict on use of recreational drugs
6. The Fiqh of Pharmacy
- Prescribing medication with haram ingredients – Case Study
- Administering Vaccinations and dealing with drug companies – Case Study
- Treating with Haram medication
- Assisting in Sin
- Shari’ processes of purification
7. Islamic Code of Practice for Medical Professionals
- Rank of Medicine as a Science
- Ethics vs. Akhlaq/Adab
- Classical Islamic literature on Character of Muslim Doctors
- Islamic Code of Medical Ethics
8. The Medical Fiqh of Fasting
- Whose obligated to fast in Ramadan
- Four principle approach on advising who should or should not fast
- Principles of what makes the fast void: medical therapies
- Principles of what makes the fast void: medical procedures
9. End of Life Decisions and Euthanasia
- Islam and Sanctity of life
- Withdrawing and withholding treatment
- Withdrawing life support
- Euthanasia and PAS
10. Organ Donation and Transplantation
- Islamic rulings related to implants and grafts
- Islamic rulings related to organ transplants
- Donating organs from Islamic perspective
11. The Adadith of Medicine – An Overview
The course aims to provide both theory and case-based practical advice on some of the most compelling and common medical ethical issues for Muslims. It addresses the fundamental questions affecting health care and allied professionals today.
- Islamic and Western Medical Ethics – An Overview
- Basics of Islamic Medical Jurisprudence and Fiqh. (Terminologies)
- The Fiqh of Family Planning and Reproductive Technology
- The Fiqh of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- The Fiqh of Halal and Haram Medicine
- The Fiqh of Pharmacy
- Islamic Code of Practice for Medical Professionals
- The Medical Fiqh of Fasting
- End of Life Decisions and Euthanasia
- Organ Donation and Transplantation
- The Ahadith of Medicine – An Introduction
The objective of this course is to:
1. Describe the Islamic legal and ethical perspectives in the light of contemporary medical issues.
2. Understand the principles of Islamic Jurisprudence [Usul ul Fiqh] as a basis for the practice of medicine.
3. Develop a greater understanding of the Islamic rulings related to the field of Islamic medical ethics.
4. Discuss the critical concepts of Islamic theology and doctrinal positions that underpin Islamic moral frameworks.
5. Provide a forum and interpersonal contact between Medical Practitioners, Muslim Scholars (Ulamaa) and other academics, in order to build a network of support and resource for the future.
By the end of this unique course, the students will:
- Gain knowledge and practical skills that will make them better informed about Islamic bioethics literature.
- Engage in moral reasoning about clinical ethics cases.
- Understand the different Islamic views related to the field of medicine in a modern context.
- Advise and inform patients and doctors about Islamic rulings related to contemporary medical issues.
- Apply the Islamic principles to the present day medical case studies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Al Balagh courses recognised or accredited?
Al Balagh courses do not provide an externally accredited or recognised qualification. Our own expert team works at the course content. With over 5000+ learners, we are continuously growing and our vision is to make Al Balagh qualifications renowned worldwide through our expert team, without seeking formal accreditation or recognition from external institutional bodies.
How is this online course structured?
Our online course comprises live interactive online sessions, pre-recorded videos, online course material that include, presentations, reading material & online learning activities. Students may ask questions and get their doubts cleared from their respective lecturers, if any. Our dedicated academic support team will assist you as required.
When will I have access to the online course material?
Upon successful enrollment, you will get access to myAlBalagh (our online learning portal) within 24 hours.
Will I get notification for live sessions?
All students will receive notification for their course live sessions via email and/or course WhatsApp group. You may also check the Course Schedule tab on your dashboard after logging in on our website or Mobile App.
Is it mandatory to attend live sessions?
We always encourage attending live sessions among students, but it is not compulsory for technical course progress of the students.
I missed a live session. Can I get the video recordings?
If you are unable to attend a live session or have missed it, you can view recorded sessions on your course dashboard. You can access all the completed Recordings, PPT and assessments anytime.
Can I download the recordings and watch it offline?
You can download recordings and PPT of the course sessions from the myAlBalagh mobile App for all the enrolled courses.The recordings will be available for students after 48 hours of the live session.
Do I get marks for watching course recordings and presentations?
There are no additional marks for watching the course recordings. Only the module Assessments and the final exam add up to the final score.You can check the individual scores of your Assessments under the Progress tab of myAlBalagh.
I have doubts but I cannot attend the live session. Any other way to ask my questions?
You can discuss your doubts via Course WhatsApp Group dedicated for student discussion or access the Discussion Board on myAlBalagh. It is a platform for you to ask questions, discuss and get your doubts cleared.
When will the final exam be held?
The Final Exam will be held at the end of the course and will be a Graded And Timed Exam.
How do I interact with my classmates?
You can interact with your classmates on our Whatsapp Group exclusive for the course students. Furthermore, you can use the Discussion Board to connect with other course students as well.
How long will I have access to the online course?
You will have access to the online course content for up to 2 years. If you want lifetime access, contact our admin team via Email at [email protected]
I am facing trouble signing into the “myAlBalagh” Online Student portal. What should I do?
In case you find any trouble accessing your account, then please contact us immediately. Our dedicated support team will ensure that your problem gets resolved at the earliest.
How can I apply for the Al Balagh Scholarship?
Al Balagh Academy values seekers of knowledge more than anything. Please visit here to apply for a scholarship. Our team will assess your application and respond in 2-3 working days.