Online Diploma in
Essential Islamic Sciences
2-year diploma programme, exclusively designed for Professionals,
University Students, Graduates, Academics, and
Intellectuals to provide a solid foundation in essential Islamic sciences
Weekday Evening (Brothers)
Start Date: 16th November 2021
Day: Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
Time (London): 8 PM – 10 PM
Time (New York): 4 PM – 6 PM
Select Currency- UK:
Select Payment Option:
**Free Digital Certificate Included
Select Payment Option:
**Free Digital Certificate Included
Select Payment Option:
**Free Digital Certificate Included
About the Programme
Essential Islamic Sciences Diploma Programme is designed specifically and exclusively for professionals, university students, graduates, those in professional academic roles and anyone interested in understanding the fundamental rulings of Islam that every Muslim is obliged to follow. The purpose is to bridge the current gap that exists between traditional Muslim scholars and contemporary academics and professionals, as well as the gap that exists between classical Islamic sciences and contemporary academic studies and scientific research.
This programme is completely online and is part-time, divided into four academic levels covering 15 essential traditional Islamic sciences from beginning to intermediate level. The course is unique in the sense that it will incorporate relevant contemporary Islamic literature coupled with relevant contemporary academic social, historical philosophical and scientific studies. The course will be delivered using a personal developmental, unique skills-focused approach which will be guided through one-to-one mentorship.
This is a basic level course that will train academics, professionals and passionate learners to achieve a good and needed grasp and understanding of the dynamic nature of the Islamic sciences, with their associated theological and jurisprudential roots, in handling issues related to modern sciences. The course will provide general opinions from all sunnī schools of thought.
This is an excellent opportunity for interested individuals to understand the synergy of the Islamic tradition with modern sciences. Graduates will have an excellent opportunity to gain essential and vital knowledge having graduated with a basic level shahādah (certification) in several Islamic disciplines and classical texts from qualified traditional and renowned Muslim scholars and academics. They will also have the opportunity to be fast-tracked to our Al Balāgh Online ʿĀlimiyyah Programme on successful completion if they wish to further their studies and gain ijāza (authorisation).
AT A GLANCE
Access to Mobile App
Start your application
The next live cohort starts on 13th November 2021
Pay in Full:
Pay In 6 Installments: £24.99 per month
26th November 2021
Al Balagh Scholarship
AlBalagh Scholarship is available for learners who cannot afford the fee.
Essential Islamic Sciences Diploma Programme Syllabus
Level-1| 4 Semesters | 10+ Learning Streams | Part-Time | Flexible Duration
- Islamic Theology & ‘Aqīdah Studies
- Qur’ānic Studies
- Ḥadīth Studies
- Fiqh & Contemporary Fiqh Studies
- Tajwīd & Hifz
- Sīrah & Islamic History
- Tazkiyah Studies
- Western Studies
Introduction to Islamic Theology
(ʿĪlm al-Kalām) (Level 1)
Fundamental Principles of Islamic Creed (al-ʿAqīdah al-Ṭaḥāwiyah)
Fundamental Principles of Islamic Creed
Introduction to Islamic Philosophy
Qur’ān Translation (Selected Surahs)
Qur’ān Tafsīr (40+ Selected Surahs)
(40+ Selected Surahs)
Ulūm al-Qur’ān (Introduction)
Qur’ānic Literature - Level 1
Qur’ānic Literature -
The Qur’ān & Modern Science
The Qur’ān &
The Jewels of the Qur’ān (Jawāhir al-Qur’ān- Imām al-Ghazālī)
The Jewels of
the Qur’ān (Jawāhir al-Qur’ān- Imām
Atlas of the Qur’ān
Introduction to Quranic Sciences –Taqi Usmani,
Jawāhir al- Qur’ān – Ghazālī,
Maʿrif al-Qur’ān (English),
Atlas of the Quran,
Commentary of Forty Ahadīth of Imām al-Nawawī
Forty Ahadīth of
Uṣūl al-Ḥadīth – Level 1
Uṣūl al-Ḥadīth –
Riyāḍ al-Ṣālihīn (Selected)
The Authority of Sunnah
Ḥadīth Literature -Level 1
Ḥadīth Literature -
Al Adab al Mufrad (selected) - Level 1
Riyāḍ al-Ṣālihīn - Imām al-Nawawī (The Books of Miscellany and Etiquettes, The Book of Virtues, The Books of Knowledge, Praise and Supplication, The Books of the Remembrance, Prohibited Actions and Significant Values)
A Text Book on Hadith Studies-Kamali ( Selected Chapters)
Authority of Sunnah – Taqi Usmani
Kitāb al-Ṭibb (Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī)
Al-Adab al-Mufrad (Bukhari) -A Text Book on Hadith Studies
Fiqh al Muyassar
Fiqh al Muyassar
Fiqh Studies - Level 1
Fiqh Studies -
Fiqh Literature - Level 1: (20 Kutub & 20 Scholars)
Fiqh Literature -
Essential Fiqh (Substantive Law)
Essential Fiqh (Substantive Law)
The Fiqh of Halal & Haraam
The Fiqh of Halal
Fiqh al Muyassar: Ala Madhab Al Imam Al A'azam Abi Hanifah
Contemporary Fatawa – Taqi Usmani
Al Sīrah al-Nabawiyyah Level-1
The History of Ṣaḥābah
Islamic History – Level 1
Islamic Historical Literature
Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources - Martin Lings
The Noble Life of the Prophet(Peace Be Upon Him) - Dr Ali As Sallaabee
Saviours Of Islamic Spirit (Selected)-Shaykh Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi
Ḥayāt al-Ṣaḥāba – Kandhalwi
Iḥyāʿ ʿUlūm al-Dīn – Ghazālī
Tazkiya Studies - Level 1
Study of Purification of the Heart
Iḥyāʿ ʿUlūm al-Dīn – Ghazālī
Decoding Modern Ideologies and Islamic Worldviews
Feminism and Islam
Islam and Politics
Atheism and Islam
Philosophy of Science and Religion
Islam, Muslims and the West
The unique Online Essential Islamic Sciences Diploma Programme has been developed to address the important need to merge knowledge of the traditional Islamic sciences, which offers a centuries-old rich intellectual tradition, with current modern-day sciences. Universities can offer valuable, diverse academic approaches to some of these disciplines about Islam. However, they cannot replace an essential centuries-old tradition where knowledge is parted, coupled with spiritual and personal development. This spiritual development is one that transcends the study of books and seeks to connect with the Creator to produce an Islamic epistemological approach which is quite different to the approach found in western institutes of learning. To be part of this spiritual chain of knowledge, one that extends from one’s teachers all the way to our noble Prophet (PBUH) is something that only a select few have the opportunity to experience. A humbling experience through a process requiring them to sit at the feet of traditional scholars of knowledge, gaining the wisdom of classical texts through an approach that has been passed down successive generations.
Passing on the treasure of Traditional Islamic Sciences from our forefathers
The traditional Islamic sciences is a massive contribution of eminent scholars of the past that will guide us to the various contemporary developments relevant today and needs to be passed on to all the generations to come. These scholars had written thousands of books in the era when printing was not invented/accessible. To preserve this treasure that has been passed on to us by our forefathers, we should educate ourselves on it and pass it on to the next generations. Al balagh intends to pick the pearls of the Islamic sciences and encapsulate it into a fast-paced, simple and comprehensive programme for the utmost convenience of the students. To be part of this spiritual chain of knowledge, one that extends from one’s teachers all the way to our noble Prophet (PBUH) is something that only a few get the opportunity to experience. A humbling experience through a process of gaining wisdom of classical texts through an approach that has been passed down successive generations.
Addressing The Contemporary Issues
In order to address the contemporary issues of Islam we need to go back to the sources of our classical theology, substantive law, jurisprudence and ethics and tease out the nuances, and essential shariʿ principles that provide the guidance and framework to allow Islamic responses to technical questions. Living in the postmodern world, which poses new challenges, ideas, and ideologies, that may lead to confusion of a layman to understand the appropriate approach to tackle it. We provide you with the essential learning experience and skills required today, to deal with the contemporary issues. We need to build the minimum level of expertise in the area of theology, ʿilm al-kalām, tafsīr, ḥadīth, fiqh, and tārīkh. The vertical growth is where these disciplines have now diversified beyond just classical text, and into many other specialities making it intersect with sciences such as philosophy, epistemology, metaphysics, anthropology, politics and other areas of humanities and social sciences. Meeting the prevalent challenges requires a Muslim with an academic background, knowledge of general sciences or any skillset to embrace aptitude to deliver Islamic response that is both appropriate and informed, through a multidisciplinary approach. We aim to empower you with the knowledge and means that will give you the assurance and pride in your faith.
Learn Under the Guidance of the Heirs of the Prophet (PBUH)
The most important aspect of the whole programme will ensure that the beneficial traditional element of madrasa learning is maintained as much as possible. While seeking Islamic knowledge is necessary, knowing the reliability of the scholars on this learning journey is equally essential. Studying authentic Islamic knowledge under the expertise and guidance of well-qualified and experienced Shari’ah scholars is essential in the present era of ignorance and innovations. Hence, we ensure that all our scholars are well-trained and have gone through robust teaching under the tutelage of their teachers through a successive chain of traditional learning that extends to the Prophet (PBUH). This unique approach of our madāris builds a vital relationship of students with their scholars and teachers, which is essential for academic, spiritual and personal development. This traditional approach will be woven throughout the syllabus content and delivery style so that students have a virtual madrasa experience. This is an exciting opportunity for students to learn, develop and connect to a line of traditional ʿulama who have a chain of learning all the way to our beloved Prophet (PBUH). After successful completion of this programme students will receive formal certification. The goal is to produce Muslims who can contribute to their areas of expertise confidently, to bring about a meaningful impact and to respond to contemporary challenges. This will be one of the best investments that you can make for your life in this world and the next.
Programme Aims & Objectives
The Key Objectives of this Program are:
- Foundational understanding of classical Islamic Text:To develop a foundational understanding of classical Islamic literature focusing on chapters of the varied disciplines that serve importance and relevance to modern sciences. This will include a primary study and analyses of all relevant themes of classical Islamic theology, fiqh, uṣūl al-fiqh, tafsīr, ḥadīth and kalām literature.
- Foundational Knowledge in Contemporary Sciences and Islamic literature: To develop a basic understanding of relevant areas of modern sciences and other related contemporary sciences, whilst developing an academic approach to Islamic ethics and contemporary Islamic literature. Students will be able to grasp relevant facets of related contemporary tafsir, kalam, fiqh and uṣūl al-fiqh literature contextualised to anthropological, sociological and philosophical paradigms, that have a direct influence on Islam as practised today.
- Research, Analytical Skills and the Application of Islamic tradition to Conventional and Contemporary Issues: To develop excellent research skills and critical analyses skills in order to achieve ethical standards in both contemporary academic literature writing and delivery. Throughout the programme, students will research, learn, explore and examine concepts, theories and principles related to both the vertical and horizontal growth areas of Islamic sciences and its impact on conventional and contemporary issues..
- Personal, Professional Spiritual and Academic Skills Development: – To develop and build the appropriate personal, professional, spiritual and academic skills which are essential for Muslims in the western world, as a requisite to resolve current issues in modern sciences from the perspective of the Islamic tradition. Students will get an opportunity to enhance their skills by joining Al Balagh skills-based courses throughout the specialisation. Al Balagh Skills Development Program is a unique program that will identify strengths and weaknesses and suggest a graded plan of action to address and improve personal, professional, spiritual and academic skills that matter. The key focus is to enhance spiritual self-reflection and emotional literacy and effective communication and presentation skills.
- Future leadership in the Islamic tradition: To develop a new generation of Muslim intellectuals who have expertise in different Islamic disciplines and can convey, advise and implement the Islamic tradition to issues related to the post-modern world through a multidisciplinary approach. As contributors to the future of the traditional Islamic sciences, they will be able to guide, identify, analyse and resolve current challenges in related sciences like theology, philosophy and anthropology, to revive the spirit of Islam in these fields and to enable and contribute to international academic literature, committees and allied industries.
- Networking, Career Guidance and Internship: To provide networking opportunities with international recognised Muslim scholars and subject experts, and professional and spiritual guidance. Our focus is to create a new generation of Muslim intellectual experts who can lead the Ummah and make a global impact by dedicating their lives to reviving the spirit of Islam.
The aspiring students should be either:
- 16+ years of age.
- Fluent in the English language.
This online programme is exclusively tailored for every Muslim, to provide them with an opportunity to develop foundational knowledge of Islamic Sciences, level by level, from the comfort of their homes. If you meet the entry requirements, then kindly apply directly or contact our admin team on +44 7397 903767 for any queries. Our support team will guide you ahead.
The programme will be delivered in a series of live online classes, tutorials, presentation based lectures, textbook-based traditional lectures, seminars, and workshops, all delivered live online. The recordings will be uploaded onto our myAlbalagh student’s learning portal (24/7 Accessibility from a web browser and Mobile App) for students to review and revise at their own pace and convenience.
This programme consists of 24 mandatory courses, broadly covering the Quranic studies, Hadith Studies, Islamic Fiqh, Islamic History Seerah, Tazkiya, Aqeedah, Islamic Theology, Philosophy and other essential Islamic subjects.
The programme will be taught extensively by qualified Shariah scholars and subject experts in English using online technology. The whole course is taken online and offers a flexible way to study while maintaining work and personal commitments. It consists of the following key approaches:
- Classical Texts: Students will study the classical texts of beginner level to gain familiarity with classical books on the various disciplines written by renowned Shariah scholars. Students will explore over 20+ classical textbooks during the programme.
- Presentation Based Lectures: Most courses will be delivered through presentations to support easier learning and to assure that students who learn visually can benefit.
- Live Online Sessions: There will be regular weekly live interactive online classes to discuss topics raised with case studies where appropriate. You are encouraged to discuss cases during the live interactive sessions, ask questions and share important points for feedback. This interactive session will be a key component of the learning process and the more you can engage with your lecturer, the more productive and enjoyable your learning will become.
- Video Recordings: The live session will be recorded, and you can access these recordings on the website. This will make it easy for students to revise and make notes after the live sessions.
- Online Course Material: In every course, your lecturer will suggest further reading material that you can review, print, read, and engage with, prior to the live session. This course material may be in the form of articles, case scenarios with questions, or recorded videos.
- Online Learning Activities and Online Assessments: There will be a variety of online learning activities, practical assignments, Module Assessments (graded or ungraded) to help you revise, reflect and gain a pragmatic approach and understanding to the subject.
- Discussion with Fellow Learners: Discussion with fellow learners is another important component of your development. In our course-specific WhatsApp groups, and our regular online Muzakarah sessions, students can review their course material and class with other learners, and share ideas with fellow students.
- Students Seminars: Regular participation in seminars will develop thinking, presentation and public speaking skills. Students will learn to prepare presentations and present via seminars, whilst presenting their arguments. This will be an excellent opportunity to receive constructive feedback.
- Flexibility in terms of Duration: Students have the flexibility to pace the months according to the commitment they can afford. Level 1 includes 4 Semesters that can be completed easily in two years, if one chooses the standard number of subjects in each semester. If you want to select more or less subjects in a semester as per your convenience then kindly contact us on our WhatsApp number: +44 7397 903767.
- Flexible Study Hours: Students are expected to spend an average of 6–7 hours per week to meet the study requirements. If students are facing time issues, then they can spend about 4–5 hours by selecting less courses per semester. It would increase the duration of the programme, but students can complete the programme without compromising their personal and professional commitments.
- Flexible Medium Of Learning: Online education has enabled pursuing almost every course and programme easy. Students can attend the live classes from the comfort of their home and begin their sacred journey of Islamic learning without compromising on other commitments.
- 24/7 Access to Video Recordings: Video recordings for every live session will be available within 48 hours on students’ course dashboard for revision and convenience. Students will get lifetime access to recordings.
- Mobile App: Students can get access to the course content on the go, using my albalagh mobile app and complete the coursework from anywhere and at any time.
- Exemption: Students with advanced knowledge or experience in the related subjects can apply for exemption for certain courses to select the next level courses in that subject.
We understand that most of our students have busy lives and managing family and professional commitments can be tough. Therefore, Al Balagh designed a flexible and structured learning model for passionate students like you to ensure that you can begin this sacred journey of foundational Islamic learning without compromising your other commitments. After successful enrollment, our academic support team will assess your profile and will draft a personalised learning plan based on it. Your mentor will guide and advise you on all course-related queries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Al Balagh courses recognised or accredited?
Al Balagh courses do not provide an externally accredited or recognised qualification. Our own expert team works at the course content. With over 5000+ learners, we are continuously growing and our vision is to make Al Balagh qualifications renowned worldwide through our expert team, without seeking formal accreditation or recognition from external institutional bodies.
How is this online course structured?
Our online course comprises live interactive online sessions, pre-recorded videos, online course material that include, presentations, reading material & online learning activities. Students may ask questions and get their doubts cleared from their respective lecturers, if any. Our dedicated academic support team will assist you as required.
When will I have access to the online course material?
Upon successful enrollment, you will get access to myAlBalagh (our online learning portal) within 24 hours.
Will I get notification for live sessions?
All students will receive notification for their course live sessions via email and/or course WhatsApp group. You may also check the Course Schedule tab on your dashboard after logging in on our website or Mobile App.
Is it mandatory to attend live sessions?
We always encourage attending live sessions among students, but it is not compulsory for technical course progress of the students.
I missed a live session. Can I get the video recordings?
If you are unable to attend a live session or have missed it, you can view recorded sessions on your course dashboard. You can access all the completed Recordings, PPT and assessments anytime.
Can I download the recordings and watch it offline?
You can download recordings and PPT of the course sessions from the myAlBalagh mobile App for all the enrolled courses.The recordings will be available for students after 48 hours of the live session.
Do I get marks for watching course recordings and presentations?
There are no additional marks for watching the course recordings. Only the module Assessments and the final exam add up to the final score.You can check the individual scores of your Assessments under the Progress tab of myAlBalagh.
I have doubts but I cannot attend the live session. Any other way to ask my questions?
You can discuss your doubts via Course WhatsApp Group dedicated for student discussion or access the Discussion Board on myAlBalagh. It is a platform for you to ask questions, discuss and get your doubts cleared.
When will the final exam be held?
The Final Exam will be held at the end of the course and will be a Graded And Timed Exam.
How do I interact with my classmates?
You can interact with your classmates on our Whatsapp Group exclusive for the course students. Furthermore, you can use the Discussion Board to connect with other course students as well.
How long will I have access to the online course?
You will have access to the online course content for up to 2 years. If you want lifetime access, contact our admin team via Email at [email protected]
I am facing trouble signing into the “myAlBalagh” Online Student portal. What should I do?
In case you find any trouble accessing your account, then please contact us immediately. Our dedicated support team will ensure that your problem gets resolved at the earliest.
How can I apply for the Al Balagh Scholarship?
Al Balagh Academy values seekers of knowledge more than anything. Please visit here to apply for a scholarship. Our team will assess your application and respond in 2-3 working days.